Palliative care is defined as a care that eases the symptoms but does not cure the underlying disease. The main goal is to increase quality of life. It is a multidisciplinary approach specialized to provide relief from symptoms such as pain as well as physical and mental stress.
Massage therapy has been found to be an essential addition to palliative care treatments. Palliative care through massage therapy is provided in order to ensure comfort and support to someone who is terminally ill. Massage therapy can be a beneficial component from the patient’s diagnosis and throughout the course of the patient’s illness by:
- Enhancing physical processes, such as increasing circulation, improve skin function
- Symptom relief caused by medication, surgery and other treatments
- Pain reduction, control
- Improve mobility
- Improve quality of scarring, reduction of discomforts associated with scarring
- Relaxation and reduction of stress and anxiety
- Forming positive therapeutic relationships
- Wound care through combined decongestive therapy (decreasing swelling around wound for a faster healing process)
- Offering combined decongestive therapy to patients with swelling, edema, poor circulation, inflammation, and other symptoms
How can TMCHC help?
The Massage Clinic Health Centres provides palliative care through massage therapy through on site treatments. Our massage therapist Klara Richas a special interest in providing palliative care to patients. Klara is certified in Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD)which could be a beneficial treatment for patients experiencing swelling, edema (bruising), wounds, and other conditions. MLD uses light rhythmical pressure throughout the affected area in order to stimulate the lymphatic system. Klara is interested in integrating all aspects of her patient’s health in order to optimize their care. She believes in collaborative care with the patient so that each treatment and patient goal is achieved. She has experience working with a wide variety of patients, such as pregnancy, rehabilitation, palliative care and wellness.
If interested in adding massage therapy and combined decongestive therapy to your current on-site palliative care treatments contact Klara through e-mail in order to book an appointment